Provides clinical and consultative support to Licensed Social Workers (LSWs) and Interdisciplinary Care Team Managers regarding complex social work related clinical and/or customer service issues. Provides mentoring and leadership to less experienced LSWs. Also provides social work services to VNSNY home care patients. Develops and implements a social work plan of care consistent with the Agency’s goals and Social Work policies and procedures.Works under general supervision.
- Performs annual clinical co-visits for licensed social workers, as well as two clinical co-visits during the first six months for new hires. Provides feedback to licensed social worker and management; assists in development of plans to address improvement needs, as appropriate.
- Participates in the orientation of new hires, including but not limited to, field training. Provides ongoing coaching, as needed, during the probationary period. Acts as a general mentor/resource to new staff for guidance and problem-solving.
- Coordinates with the Clinical Operations Support management to foster quality, compliance and best practice for all social work services.
- Assists with developing agenda for and implementing regionally based social work meetings to foster communication, dissemination of information and resources, and ongoing staff development. Represents social work services at regionally based and centralized meetings, as needed.
- Conducts designated number of quality chart reviews each month.
- Travels to patient homes to provide direct social work services to patients and families in collaboration with the interdisciplinary care team, consistent with VNSNY Home Care policies, procedures and standards of social work practice.
- Conducts comprehensive assessment and develops the social work component of the patient’s plan of care, providing social work interventions including education, short term counseling, community resource planning and crisis intervention.
- Manages social work service planning and implementation for a caseload of patients from assessment to discharge. Maintain productivity sufficient to meet program goals.
- Maintains communication with other members of the patient’s interdisciplinary care team and assists them in understanding the significant social and emotional factors related to the patient’s health status, and the role of social work intervention.
- Completes all required documentation according to VNSNY Home Care policy.
- Participates in VNSNY meetings including but not limited to, interdisciplinary team meetings, in-services and training programs, social work meetings and case conferences.
- Participates in special projects, and performs other duties, as needed.
Licensure:Current registration to practice as a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) in New York State required. Valid driver’s license may be required, as determined by operational/regional needs.
Education: Master’s degree in Social Work after successfully completing a prescribed course of study at a graduate school of Social Work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education and the New York State Education Department.
Experience: =Minimum of five years social work experience in a healthcare/homecare setting required. Demonstrated ability to lead and guide less experienced social workers required. Bilingual skills may be required, as determined by operational needs.
The Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is one of the nation's largest not-for-profit home- and community-based health care organizations, serving the five boroughs of New York City, and Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Counties. For over 125 years, VNSNY has been committed to improving the health and well-being of people through high-quality, cost-effective health care in the home and community. We offer a wide range of services, programs, and health plans to meet the diverse needs of our patients, health plan members, and clients from before birth to the end of life. On any given day, VNSNY employees - including nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, home health aides and other professionals - deliver compassionate care, unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources to approximately 40,000 individuals in our care helping them to live the best lives possible in their homes and communities.