Manages the day-to-day operations of the corporate accounting department and coordinating agency financial and interacting with subsidiary staff in our consolidated financial reporting. Develops/revises and implements accounting controls, policies and procedures in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“GAAP”). Works under general supervision.
- Issues month-end closing schedule and works with staff to ensure that target dates are met for month-end closing of the general ledger.
- Supervises general accounting staff to ensure entries in the ledgers and journals are in compliance with established accounting procedures. Verifies entries in ledgers with source data and assists in the resolution of any discrepancies found.
- Provides guidance to staff in the preparation of account analyses and reconciliations to the general ledger.
- Analyzes and reviews general ledger accounts to ensure appropriate documentation and proper allocations are completed in a timely basis.
- Serve as liaison with external auditors.
- Provides advice on how to understand financial reports concerning issues such as budget variances, major adjustments or trends, financial drivers and financial results to program managers throughout the Agency.
- Consults with Finance Management Team to discuss and implement effective application of general accounting policy and methods.
- Oversee asset management tracking system and amortization of assets
- Evaluates daily operations and continually to improve department processes and utilization of PeopleSoft Financials in the most efficient and effective manner. Recommends changes in accounting methods and procedures to the Controller.
- Oversees and validates the preparation of filing NY-S-45 and 941 reports required by government agencies.
- Performs all duties inherent in a management role. Ensures effective development and staff training, interviews candidates for employment, evaluates staff performance and recommends hiring, promotions, salary actions and terminations, as appropriate.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as required.
Licensure: Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required. Master’s in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related discipline preferred.
Experience: Minimum of five years of experience in accounting or auditing required. Minimum of three years of supervisory experience required. Proficient with personal computers, including MS Office suite (Word, Excel) required. Experience using PeopleSoft preferred.
The Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is the nation's largest not-for-profit home- and community-based health care organization, serving the five boroughs of New York City, and Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Countries. For over 125 years, VNSNY has been committed to improving the health and well-being of people through high-quality, cost effective healthcare in the home and community. We offer a wide range of services, programs, and health plans to meet the diverse needs of our patients, members, and clients from before birth to the end of life. Each day, more than 13,000 VNSNY employees - including nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, other allied professionals, and paraprofessionals - deliver compassionate care, unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources to more than 44,000 patients and members, helping them to live the best lives possible in their homes and communities.