Ensures the overall delivery of home health services provided to all patients in accordance with VNSNY policies, procedures and standards of practice. Directs, coordinates, manages and oversees the activities of all staff, from novice nurses to experienced clinicians. As part of the nursing leadership team, supports the VNSNY mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives to ensure the highest level of patient-centered care, including quality and financial outcomes. Provides and coordinates post-orientation support to new hires during their transition to VNSNY and home care.
- Oversees referral intake and management to ensure that patients receive assessment visits and that these visits are scheduled and performed timely according with VNSNY policy.
- Leads weekly case conferences and addresses recert/discharge decisions based on findings.
- Reviews orders; approves or declines as appropriate. Follows up with staff if order correction is needed.
- Updates the patients medication profile and schedule as applicable based on the order. Ensures all orders that address frequency have appropriate calendar modification completed.
- Ensures that there are existing orders for requested medical supplies.
- Monitors Order Tracking Report and collaborates with the Medical Records department to facilitate retrieval of orders.
- Enters detailed Non-Admit information into HCHB if no visit was made. Ensures the Branch Director approved the non-admission.
- Monitors vital sign alert reports. Follows up with clinician or Documents action, any follow-up and physician notification.
- Reviews and processes wound score deviations documenting any action and/ or follow-up.
- Approves movement of patients from intake to scheduling following the VNSNY admission policy and procedure.
- Reviews Billing Claims Held Reports and works with revenue cycle team to resolve any issues.
- Receives/reviews lab reports and assesses for normality. Ensures lab reports are forwarded to the physician.
- Provides daily and/or weekend back-up coverage for other Branch management staff during absences, which includes review and approval of all clinical utilization documents.
Conducts joint visits and field supervision visits as needed. Conducts debrief and case management discussions to
assess development of critical thinking and case management skills. Assists with assessment of case management
issues and developing strategies to address or resolve issues.
Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Nursing or equivalent work experience required.
Experience: Minimum of three years nursing experience and one year home health experience required. Clinical management experience preferred. Demonstrated understanding of the Federal, State and local laws/regulatory guidelines governing the operation of a Home Health agency required. Effective oral, written communication and interpersonal skills required.
The Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is the nation's largest not-for-profit home- and community-based health care organization, serving the five boroughs of New York City, and Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Countries. For over 125 years, VNSNY has been committed to improving the health and well-being of people through high-quality, cost effective healthcare in the home and community. We offer a wide range of services, programs, and health plans to meet the diverse needs of our patients, members, and clients from before birth to the end of life. Each day, more than 13,000 VNSNY employees - including nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, other allied professionals, and paraprofessionals - deliver compassionate care, unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources to more than 44,000 patients and members, helping them to live the best lives possible in their homes and communities.