The ideal candidate will have 1-3 years of prior legal experience in health care in New York or the tri-state area and be willing to roll up their sleeves and learn from other members of the team in a fast-paced environment. Excellent inter-personal skills are a must.
- Provides counsel on a range of legal issues affecting the operations of VNSNY. Identifies and analyzes legal issues, drafts key documents, presents clear recommendations, and assures legal compliance.
- Provides support to other members of the Legal team on both provider and health plan matters.
- Counsels staff on member, patient, and care-delivery issues; advises with respect to matters of member enrollment, patient admission and discharge, and difficult-to-serve patients/members.
- Works with staff and outside counsel with respect to Medicaid and Medicare fair hearings and issues around care coordination, service delivery and termination.
- Ensures that contracts by which VNSNY is, or will be, legally bound accurately express VNSNY's objectives. Negotiates, drafts, reviews and tracks agreements, contracts, and memoranda within the requirements of the law.
- Keeps abreast of the legal impact of legislative and regulatory developments affecting the policies and operations of VNSNY.
- Delineates and advises on the appropriate roles and interactions of the component corporations within the VNSNY family of corporations.
- Assists and advises with respect to corporate transactions and related legal and regulatory issues
- Advises on legal issues and associated implications relating to specialized or new programs, models of care, or lines of business such as population health, behavioral health, regional expansion of existing programs and new clinical partnerships.
- Interacts with outside legal counsel and internal Legal, Risk and Compliance staff.
- Participates in special projects and performs legal research and other related duties as needed.
LICENSURE: Current registration to practice law in New York State required.
EDUCATION: Juris Doctorate required.
EXPERIENCE: 1-3 years of working knowledge of corporate law, document preparation, litigation, regulatory agency procedures and contract negotiation and experience in New York healthcare required.
The Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is the nation's largest not-for-profit home- and community-based health care organization, serving the five boroughs of New York City, and Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Countries. For over 125 years, VNSNY has been committed to improving the health and well-being of people through high-quality, cost effective healthcare in the home and community. We offer a wide range of services, programs, and health plans to meet the diverse needs of our patients, members, and clients from before birth to the end of life. Each day, more than 13,000 VNSNY employees - including nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, other allied professionals, and paraprofessionals - deliver compassionate care, unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources to more than 44,000 patients and members, helping them to live the best lives possible in their homes and communities.