Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is the nation’s largest not-for-profit community-based health system. VNSNY provides a comprehensive array of home- and community-based programs, including health plans, tailored to the needs of high-risk, vulnerable New Yorkers, improving their quality of life. Each day, more than 18,000 VNSNY employees — including nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, dieticians, other allied professionals, and paraprofessionals — deliver compassionate care, unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources to more than 35,000 patients, helping them to live the best lives possible.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
Responsible for general clerical and administrative duties within the assigned department. Assists Program/Department Head or Staff with coordination/execution of tasks necessary to meet operational needs . Works under close supervision.
Education: Requires current enrollment in college or graduate school, with a minimum of one year of college completed.
The Outcomes & Analytics unit of Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) has an exciting internship opportunity for a motivated graduate student. We are looking for a passionate student with strong interest in getting some hands-on experience with research and data analyses in healthcare to join our analytics team in the summer! Strong candidates should demonstrate basic training in both quantitative and qualitative research methods and experience with statistical analyses. The intern will be working closely with the Evaluation Scientist on several projects around the theme “preparing the long-term healthcare workforce for the transformation into a value-based payment health delivery system.” The intern will have an opportunity to practice their research skills, develop an understanding of the fundamentals of program evaluation, learn about the design aspect of an evaluation study, and obtain an experience of working in the healthcare industry.
Intern duties and responsibilities
- Conduct literature review on key conceptual domains within the scope of specific studies.
- Assist data cleaning and preparation for analysis.
- Perform statistical analyses under supervision and mentorship.
- Assist the design of pertinent evaluation studies, data tools, and guidance documents.
- Maintain, update, and manage analytic databases.
- Assist in collecting and analyzing qualitative data (i.e., interviews, text analysist, document review).
- Serve as a liaison between the research team and program team on data collection, answer questions about data interpretation, and help prepare needed data for meetings.
- Participate in learning/professional development sessions and events at VNSNY.
- Miscellaneous tasks as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications
- Strong interest and basic training in quantitative methods and statistical analyses.
- Familiarity with at least one of the following statistical software: R, SAS, Stata, or SPSS.
- Working knowledge of writing Syntax codes.
- Excellent analytic skills and critical thinking ability.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Great interpersonal and communication skills.
- Flexibility with occasional shifting priorities.
- Passion and curiosity in learning more about healthcare delivery system and workforce.
- Attention to detail.
- Open to college seniors or first-year graduate students majoring in the following discipline: Social and behavioral science, Public health, Statistics, Healthcare informatics
Schedule and duration - 10-15 hours weekly for summer 2019