Promotes and fosters ongoing collaborative communication with healthcare professionals and VNSNY to establish coordinated VNSNY Hospice services. Functions as a liaison between external customers, patients, families and VNSNY Hospice. Builds relationships, obtains referrals and reviews patient information referred to VNSNY Hospice to determine initial appropriateness of admission. Facilitates the safe and timely transfer of patients from a hospital, skilled nursing facility, physician office, or other Home Care site to the care of VNSNY Hospice. Works under moderate supervision
- Obtains and processes referrals based on the Enterprise’s admission criteria.
- Obtains and confirms demographic and other medical and social patient information. Works within intake related electronic platforms to gather proper information to generate a new referral/resumption of patient’s care and ensures accurate documentation.
- Establishes and promotes an ongoing collaborative relationship between VNSNY and/or other facilities, direct care givers, physicians, nurses, discharge planners, case managers, social workers, etc. to facilitate adequate patient care transition.
- Provides patient and family members with information related to how to contact VNSNY between period of referral and initial home visit.
- Works closely with, and escalates necessary issues to the Supervisor/ Manager in a timely fashion.
- Coordinates and shares information with patient’s other health care providers as appropriate.
- Assists in the order processing for supplies, durable medical equipment, laboratory work and other appropriate items needed for the patient. Confirms that appropriate supplies and/or medical equipment are readily available in patient’s homes prior to their discharge.
- Determines customer needs and provides accurate and responsive intake to ensure customer satisfaction. Provides appropriate handoff of information to team members to support a safe and effective transition of care.
- Builds and maintains a positive relationship with referral sources. Provides general information about all VNSNY services to referrers and the community.
- Participates on project teams and may perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelors’ Degree in Health Care, Business or a related field or the equivalent work experience required.
Experience: Minimum of two years’ experience in a business, operational or customer service role in a healthcare industry (i.e. hospital, long term care, home care setting, or medical office) required. Ability to understand medical terminology required. Experience entering data, navigating and retrieving information through a mainframe or similar computer system required. Ability to adapt to change and work in a team based environment required. Ability to be persuasive, negotiate to win-win outcomes and demonstrate exceptional customer service skills required. Demonstrated capability to gain commitment, build rapport with others (patients, families, physicians, clinicians, institutions etc.) required. Strong follow up skills required, as well as the ability to manage multiple priorities. Knowledge of managed care, Medicare/Medicaid and insurance authorization/billing helpful but not required. Bilingual skills may be required, as determined by operational needs.
The Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is the nation's largest not-for-profit home- and community-based health care organization, serving the five boroughs of New York City, and Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Countries. For over 125 years, VNSNY has been committed to improving the health and well-being of people through high-quality, cost effective healthcare in the home and community. We offer a wide range of services, programs, and health plans to meet the diverse needs of our patients, members, and clients from before birth to the end of life. Each day, more than 13,000 VNSNY employees - including nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, other allied professionals, and paraprofessionals - deliver compassionate care, unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources to more than 44,000 patients and members, helping them to live the best lives possible in their homes and communities.