Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is the nation’s largest not-for-profit community-based health system. VNSNY provides a comprehensive array of home- and community-based programs, including health plans, tailored to the needs of high-risk, vulnerable New Yorkers, improving their quality of life. Each day,more than 18,000 VNSNY employees — including nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, dieticians, other allied professionals, and paraprofessionals — deliver compassionate care, unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources tomore than35,000 patients, helping them to live the best lives possible.
The per diem Licensed Clinical Social Worker will administer the VNSNY contract program between HMOs and other third party payors to engage psychiatric patients while they are on the psychiatric inpatient unit and also once discharged to the community. Serves as a liaison between third party insurance company and psychiatric patient to assess the well being of the psychiatric patient. Responsible for providing social work services to psychiatric patients that is consistent with VNSNY Home Care policies. Helps VNSNY develop and refine the Behavioral Health Transition Model and assists with program expansion. Works under general supervision.
- Serves as a liaison between VNSNY, the HMO third party, other community agencies, and the psychiatric patient. Conducts pre-discharge and post discharge assessments of patients for insurance provider and makes appropriate reports (with release) to the insurance carrier.
- Works with the VNSNY Program Director to identify target patients and to coordinate activities
- Coordinates with Hospital Social Workers, Psychiatric RNs, Psychiatrists, or other Clinicians or Hospital staff to schedule visits to the inpatient unit and to meet all HIPPAA documentation standards.
- Arranges for, travels to, and completes patient clinical post-discharge visit and sends visit notification to VNSNY billing department and clinical information to the HMO/3rd party case managers.
- Assesses patient’s psychosocial status and social work needs utilizing professional knowledge, skills of observation and interviewing skills
- Supports the patient’s effort to become complaint with discharge plans to transition to community based outpatient treatment programs.
- Follows up with patient immediately after discharge to conduct post-discharge assessment and determine patient’s psychological well being. May coordinate travel plans for patient on discharge day and/or physically escort patient home from hospital / rehab center. Coordinates with the HMO Case Worker
- Documents the process during initiation and start-up with the goal of developing policies and procedures leading to further model implementation refinement and coordination.
Licensure: Current registration to practice as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker-R (LCSW-R) in New York State required. Valid driver's license may be required, as determined by operational/regional needs.
Education:Master's degree in Social Work after successfully completing a prescribed course of study at a graduate school of Social Work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education and the Education Dept. and who is certified or licensed by the Education Dept to practice independently as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in New York State required -or- PhD/PsyD in Psychology required.
Experience: Minimum of four years social work experience that includes experience in a psychiatric inpatient unit or psychiatric emergency room as a direct clinical service provider and/or discharge planner required. Bilingual skills may be required, as determined by operational needs. Exceptional clinical skills for engaging patients in a case management context required. Demonstrated ability to use appropriate VNSNY technology (Computer, Pen tablet, Cell phone/Beeper etc), including Microsoft Office is required. Ability to work both independently as well as a team player also required.
Prior experience working with HMOs and insurance companies preferred but not required. Ability to travel across regions as business needs dictate. May require owning a car, as determined by operational / regional needs