Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is the nation’s largest not-for-profit community-based health system. VNSNY provides a comprehensive array of home- and community-based programs, including health plans, tailored to the needs of high-risk, vulnerable New Yorkers, improving their quality of life. Each day,more than 18,000 VNSNY employees — including nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, dieticians, other allied professionals, and paraprofessionals — deliver compassionate care, unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources tomore than35,000 patients, helping them to live the best lives possible.
Performs general accounting functions, including the review of financial reports, statistical analysis and budgeting. Designs and delivers management indicator reports and analyzes utilization trends at product and payor levels. Works independently and as part of a Finance team, reporting to the Finance Manager, VNSNY CHOICE. Works under general supervision.
- Reviews and analyzes monthly financial transactions, ensuring accuracy and completeness of journal entries, makes necessary adjustments as needed, prepares reports of findings and disseminate financial reports to management for review.
- Interacts with Corporate bank representative along with VNSNY Treasury Specialist to develop new banking process and procedures with third parties and prepares monthly bank reconciliations.
- Designs and distributes performance indicator reports based on analyses of monthly financial reports and service utilization. Creates new reporting processes as needed to accommodate changes in product distributions, regional expansion, improved accounting applications, etc.
- Performs specialized “case mix” variance analysis that incorporates the restatement of “non-controllable” budgeted statistics (e.g. census by product) to their actual levels. Computes and prepares variance reports for management on a regular basis and consolidates reports with monthly financials to ensure the controls of costs, as required.
- Utilizes database applications Access and Excel and collaborates with Health Economics to obtain data for various analyses.
- Prepares annual staffing budget, annual OTPS budget and capital budget. Provides summary analysis and recommendation as appropriate.
- Acts as an HR liaison for management with regional program directors to prepare monthly staffing ratio reports, FTE’s reports, NC capacity reports, and FTE variance reports.
Licensure: Certified Public Account (CPA) strongly preferred.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance required. Master’s Degree in Business Administration or other related discipline preferred.
Experience: Minimum of five years accounting/finance experience in a Managed Care or related organization (for candidates with Master’s degree in stated discipline, three years of experience will be considered) required. Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) required. Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Word) required. Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills required. Knowledge of People Soft and Oracle preferred. Experience in a lead or supervisory capacity preferred.