Supports attorneys with administrative and paraprofessional duties in a broad range of corporate, transactional, and litigation matters. Assists Legal and Enterprise Risk Management departments with long term and short term projects that arise from diverse requests for paraprofessional support on legal, regulatory, and operational risk issues. Assists attorneys in general law practice, including document preparation, copy-editing and review, filings, scheduling, file maintenance, and service of process. Works under moderate supervision.
- Conducts legal research, prepares reports, and handles information requests. Prepares, edits, reviews, and organizes legal records, legal documents, legal correspondence and communications. Provides general administrative support for attorneys.
- Supports attorneys in strategic initiatives and performs project-specific work as may be assigned from time to time, including organizing hard and electronic files, maintaining databases, preparing reports, and liaising with third parties (such as consultants and outside counsel).
- Processes and prepares numerous governmental and legal filings with various city, state and federal agencies, incorporation papers, assumed name filings and related matters for VNSNY executives and senior leadership.
- Coordinates cross-business unit projects.
- Maintains documents and files; drafts meeting minutes/memoranda, and other documents. Manages legal electronic databases.
- Manages document-intensive matters and assists with regulatory audits and examinations.
- Supports the General Counsel in Board meetings, including drafting meeting materials, preparing resolutions, organizing and mailing materials and agendas.
- Participates in special projects and performs other related duties, as required.
- Provides litigation support for VNSNY, its affiliates and subsidiaries in actions before federal and state courts and administrative agencies. Reviews incoming lawsuits and subpoenas to identify proper contacts (e.g. internal departments, insurance brokers, and/or attorneys for specific cases).
- Facilitates and ensures compliance with court directives and requests, discovery demands, and deposition notices in litigation involving VNSNY, its affiliates and subsidiaries. Contacts witnesses to establish deposition schedules. Serves as primary liaison between outside counsel and VNSNY staff to coordinate schedules. Provides requested information to outside attorneys. Prepares synopses, abstracts or summaries of complex cases and legal issues requiring attorney evaluation.
- Coordinates delivery and receipt of service of process and ensures prompt notification of in-house attorneys and outside counsel of litigation, subpoenas, and other legal claims or demands.
- Reviews subpoenas for legal sufficiency, privilege and areas of heightened protection. Ensures that information is disclosed in compliance with HIPAA and other applicable laws.
- Reviews, evaluates and consults with outside counsel and Vice President & Associate General Counsel regarding proposed settlements. Coordinates payment of settlements in compliance with settlement rulings.
- Assists VNSNY legal staff and outside counsel with pending or threatened criminal charges and investigations involving VNSNY by reviewing court documents and internal documentation.
Education:Bachelor’s degree in paralegal studies, law, or relevant field required. Paralegal certification preferred.
Experience: Minimum of three years of relevant experience as a Paralegal required. Experience using Westlaw to perform legal research required. Ability to independently and thoroughly research, analyze, organize, and summarize issues into a well-written legal memorandum required. Project Management skills with strong attention to detail and organizational skills required. Experience with corporate transactions, medical malpractice litigation, and/or labor litigation preferred.Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written required. Proficient in MS Office required.
The Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is one of the nation's largest not-for-profit home- and community-based health care organizations, serving the five boroughs of New York City, and Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Counties. For over 125 years, VNSNY has been committed to improving the health and well-being of people through high-quality, cost-effective health care in the home and community. We offer a wide range of services, programs, and health plans to meet the diverse needs of our patients, health plan members, and clients from before birth to the end of life. On any given day, VNSNY employees - including nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, home health aides and other professionals - deliver compassionate care, unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources to approximately 40,000 individuals in our care helping them to live the best lives possible in their homes and communities.