Responds to inbound phone calls and determines customer needs while providing accurate and responsive intake. Provides general VNSNY information to the referrer, patient and community, ensuring excellent customer service. Processes and transcribes patient information for referral entry and responds to electronic platforms, faxed or phone referrals. Follows VNSNY admission criteria and processes referrals accordingly. Facilitates the safe and timely transfer of patients from a hospital, skilled nursing facility, physician office, or other home care site to the care of VNSNY. Works under moderate supervision.
- Responds to inbound phone calls and determines customer needs while providing accurate and responsive intake and ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Responds to and resolves non clinical issues and complaints in an accurate, effective and timely manner. May collaborate with other VNSNY staff or external departments to troubleshoot intake issues, or escalate clinical issues to assigned clinical support.
- Handles and routes inbound faxes to designated referral channels and workforce systems across VNSNY.
- Responds to all electronic platform, phone and faxed referrals. Updates electronic platform with final referral disposition.
- Reviews patient medical records received from referrer and transcribes required information, including demographic, insurance and clinical information into VNSNY referral system. Attaches clinical documents into VNSNY Electronic Medical Record System (EMR).
- Obtains patient insurance and payment information from various sources and submits requested information to Patient Revenue Cycle Department for home care authorization. Verifies information and coordinates acceptance of cases with the department.
- Compiles patient demographic information using medical records, databases, and paper forms and enters into VNSNY referral system. Works with VNSNY team members to ensure a safe discharge home.
- Follows up to ensure that all necessary referral information is received and documented; contacts referrers to request specific missing information or documentation, as directed.
- Works within the Intake system to reconcile and mitigate risk inherent in referral processing.
- May collaborate with home Visiting MD services on providing home medical services for referred patients without PECOS/OPRA primary physicians.
- May train new Physician’s on the MD Portal and/or provide on-going support to portal customers.
- Coordinates and obtains outstanding face-to-face encounter form on referrals.
- Establishes and promotes an ongoing collaborative relationship between VNSNY and/or other facilities, direct care givers, physicians, nurses, discharge planners, case managers, social workers, etc. to facilitate adequate patient care transition.
- Places orders for supplies, durable medical equipment, laboratory work and other appropriate items needed for the patient.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalency required. Associates Degree in Health Care, Business or related field preferred.
Experience: Minimum one year of customer service experience required, preferably in the healthcare industry (i.e. hospital, long term care, home care setting, or medical office). Ability to quickly learn and understand medical terminology required. Experience entering data, navigating and retrieving information through a mainframe or similar computer system required. Ability to adapt to change and work in a team based environment required. Ability to be persuasive, negotiate to win-win outcomes and demonstrate exceptional customer service skills required. Demonstrated capability to gain commitment, build rapport with others (patients, families, physicians, clinicians, institutions etc.) required. Strong follow up skills required, as well as the ability to manage multiple priorities. Knowledge of managed care, Medicare/Medicaid and insurance authorization/billing helpful but not required. Bilingual skills may be required, as determined by operational needs.
The Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is the nation's largest not-for-profit home- and community-based health care organization, serving the five boroughs of New York City, and Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Countries. For over 125 years, VNSNY has been committed to improving the health and well-being of people through high-quality, cost effective healthcare in the home and community. We offer a wide range of services, programs, and health plans to meet the diverse needs of our patients, members, and clients from before birth to the end of life. Each day, more than 13,000 VNSNY employees - including nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, other allied professionals, and paraprofessionals - deliver compassionate care, unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources to more than 44,000 patients and members, helping them to live the best lives possible in their homes and communities.