The Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is the nation’s largest not-for-profit home- and community-based health care organization, serving the five boroughs of New York City, and Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Counties. For 125 years, VNSNY has been committed to meeting the health care needs of New Yorkers with compassionate, high-quality home health care. We offer a wide range of services, programs, and health plans to meet the diverse needs of our patients, members, and clients from before birth to the end of life.
Each day, more than 13,000 VNSNY employees — including nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, other allied professionals, and paraprofessionals — deliver compassionate care, unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources to more than 48,000 patients and members, helping them to live the best lives possible in their homes and communities.
The Center for Home Care Policy & Research (CHCPR) was established in 1993 by VNSNY to advance the national knowledge base underpinning home and community-based services. The mission of the CHCPR is to conduct objective research that advances knowledge promoting the delivery of high-quality, cost-effective care in the home and community, and supports informed decision making by policy makers, managers, practitioners, and consumers of home- and community-based services. The Center’s portfolio includes clinical and health services research focusing on improving the health of vulnerable populations and those with chronic conditions, improving clinical decision making, predictive risk modeling, testing innovations in home care delivery, and data analytics to inform policy decisions.
The Senior Research Scientist is responsible for developing and maintaining an independent program of externally funded research funding to advance the science of the Center for Home Care Policy & Research. The scientist will produce high-quality, methodologically sound research on home and community based care. The scientist works with the Center director and other investigators, internally and externally, to build collaborations and develop funding proposals. The scientist is responsible for managing a team of multidisciplinary analytic, research, and evaluation staff.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares/writes proposals to external funders (e.g., AHRQ, NIH, RWJF, The Commonwealth Fund) in response to Requests for Proposals/Applications, for investigator-initiated grants, and in response to other grant and contract opportunities.
- Develops and implements projects of varied size/scope/impact on the utilization, costs and quality of home and community-based services and long-term care.
- Oversees the development and implementation of detailed data analytic plans using advanced statistical methods.
- Works with Director and other senior scientists to develop and implement research studies.
- Mentors others in research design and conduct. Provides general direction/guidance/training to new/less experienced staff.
- Submits research findings to appropriate scientific and professional journals for peer review and publication in independent journals and other recognized publications.
- Education: Ph.D. with content expertise in Nursing, Public Health, Medicine, Gerontology, Social Work, Sociology, Health Economics, Informatics or other relevant discipline required.
- Required Experience: Successful track record in obtaining NIH/AHRQ funding to support research activities. Minimum of five years of experience conducting large scale independent research conducted in an academic, clinical or health policy research setting. Must have strong skills in outcomes-focused research, including data analysis, modelling, and interpretation. Proven publication and professional presentation record.
- Knowledge of and prior work experience in home health care setting preferred. Prior experience working with large data sets, decision support, geriatrics, chronic disease management, palliative care, and/or practice behavior change also preferred. A joint appointment with an academic medical center or university will be considered.